LONDON — Google’s decision to cut off support to Huawei, the Chinese telecommunications giant blacklisted by the Trump administration, is rippling across the globe as companies suspend ties to the handset maker.
In Britain, where Huawei is one of the most popular cellphone brands, two of country’s biggest mobile networks, EE and Vodafone, announced they would stop offering Huawei phones to 5G customers as a result of Google’s decision.
In Japan, the three largest cellphone companies also said they were reconsidering plans to sell a new series of Huawei smartphones.
And ARM, a chip maker based in Britain, was reportedly suspending its business with Huawei because some of its designs contained technology from the United States, according to documents seen by the BBC. ARM said on Wednesday that it was “complying with all of the latest regulations set forth by the U.S. government” and declined to comment any further.
The moves follow Google’s announcement on Monday that it would cut off support to Huawei for its Android hardware and software services. Google’s announcement was a result of a Trump administration order last week that effectively barred American firms from selling components and software to Huawei, ramping up a cold war between the two countries over technology and trade.
EE and Vodafone in Britain both said that they would hold off selling Huawei phones to customers who wanted 5G services until there was more certainty about the situation. EE, a unit of British Telecom and Britain’s largest cellphone carrier, will open its 5G network next week, and had planned to offer Huawei phones along with Samsung and OnePlus handsets for the service.
The issue of support for the Android system meant that EE did not have the “surety of service” it needed to offer the long-term contracts under which it sold 5G handsets, Marc Allera, EE’s chief executive, said on Wednesday.
“We’re working with Huawei and Google to make sure we can carry out the right level of testing and quality assurance so our customers have a great experience with any smartphones range in the future,” EE said in an emailed statement.
Vodafone also said it was putting pre-orders for the Huawei Mate 20X on hold in Britain. “This is a temporary measure while uncertainty exists regarding new Huawei 5G devices,” the company said in an emailed statement. “We will keep this situation under review.”
The company had planned to allow customers to preorder the Huawei phone this summer to run on the 5G network starting in July.
Huawei responded to actions by EE and Vodafone by saying: “We value our close relationships with our partners, but recognize the pressure some of them are under, as a result of politically motivated decisions.”
“We are confident this regrettable situation can be resolved,” the company continued, “and our priority remains to continue to deliver world-class technology and products to our customers around the world.”
In Japan, KDDI and Softbank’s low-cost carrier Yahoo Mobile announced they would delay their plans to introduce the budget version of Huawei’s P30 line of phones, originally slated to go on sale in Japan at the end of May.
A third company, NTT DoCoMo, said it was suspending pre-orders of a different version of the phone, the P30 Pro.
The decisions by the British networks indicate that Huawei could feel the effects of the battle with the United States in the region that brings it the most revenue outside China. Just over half of Huawei’s revenue comes from China, while 28.4 percent comes from Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Huawei is a small player in Japan, which is dominated by Apple’s iPhone and Japanese manufacturers like Sony and Sharp. Counterpoint, an analysis firm, said one Huawei model, the P20 Lite, held a 4 percent market share as of the end of last year.